Licensed Physical Therapists at Maya are trained to use various physical agents for therapeutic applications. These physical agents could be mechanical, light, sound, thermal (cold and hot), electrical, in nature. These modalities often help in restoring mobility, subcutaneous delivery of medications, improve blood circulation to injured tissues, relieving joint swellings and muscle spasms. We employ the following modalities, described briefly below:
Manual therapeutic exercises are used to correct dislocations and physical ailments/impairments. Some of the exercises used by Physical Therapists at Maya Physical Therapy & Wellness Clinic are listed below:
- Mechanical Traction - Especially useful for Whiplash pains (neck and lower back pain) originating after a car accident. In this modality, the patient is harnessed to a mechanical traction machine and force applied longitudinally and in directions at your lumbar and cervical area in such a manner that hidden stress forces locked in the neck and back are relieved.
- Myofascial release technique - Myofascial restrictions are hidden stresses generated by some kind of trauma or inflammations. This technique involves the Physical Therapist applying pressure to the pain site to relieve muscle spasms and pain.
- McKenzie Method - Dr. Sanjay Nadu at Maya Physical Therapy is a McKenzie trained Physical Therapist. This method involves an assessment process intended for musculoskeletal problems of the neck, back and other extremities (ankle, knee, shoulder etc.,)
- Postural Correction - Initial analysis of the body’s posture leads to identifying specific postural problems that are then corrected by restoring proper alignment of the musculoskeletal system, thereby reducing undue strains.
- Gait & Balance Training - Upon an analysis of your walking style, deviations are determined and training and various exercise techniques prescribed to imbibe proper movement patterns to the body (both static and in dynamic positions)
The aforementioned modalities and therapeutic exercises are performed by an experienced licensed physical therapist to improve strength, agility and infuse a fresh burst of increased energy levels.